Tuesday 28 July 2015

Mad hatter's tea party and a DIY hat

Saturday night a few friends of mine put on a 'Mad Hatter's Teaparty' at a local bar in honour of Alice in Wonderland's 150th birthday. They had been planning it quite a while, with fancy dress, teapot cocktails and a teapot decorating competition, it was -excuse the pun- JUST  my cup of tea. Down to the very blend and spoons of sugar. Just perfect. So as you can probably tell, I was very excited and had planned my outfit and hat weeks ago.


Yum yum and yum, cakes made and decorated by the lovely hosts. Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to take any proper outfit photos, but honestly although perhaps I looked "in costume" I was wearing my normal clothes... (Spin Doctor skirt with chinese style silky blouse from a charity shop, on top of a corset from ebay.)


This was the skirt I was wearing.


Please excuse my rediculously excited expression. As you can see, I also wore a teeny top hat fascinator (made by me, DIY post coming soon) a key and pocket watch on a necklace, and drank my g&t from a Hello Kitty teacup. There was an agreement from the manager of the bar that party goers could bring their own teapots to drink from, and would charge accordingly as to how much liquid each could hold. I also had a teapot full of cocktail for £8, which was delicious and very reasonable.

 
As you can see there were some wonderful and dedicated costumes, I always have time for good fancy dress, so I rather felt as if I was cheating by wearing my normal clothes! 

Did anybody else celebrate the birthday of Alice In Wonderland?? 


14 comments:

  1. You look adorable! I love this post! I did not celebrate the birthday unfortunately but it was fun reading about your adventures! I want you Hello Kitty tea cup now LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would appreciate the teacup ;) it has a matching saucer and teapot!

      Delete
    2. Oooh cool, Now I really want it! Too cute LOL

      Delete
  2. What a great way to celebrate Alice's 150 years! Here in NYC, the Morgan Library is having an extra special show. Maybe I'll take my nieces to the show and then to Alice's Tea Cup for high tea!

    Here's the link if you want to read about the show:
    http://www.themorgan.org/exhibitions/alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was reading about this the other day!! I swear you guys in the states get the best of everything ;) lol. You should totally take out your nieces for high tea! It's one of my favourite things to do when I don't have my daughter around, though I suppose I should start her young ;)

      Delete
  3. You look great! Big hair jealousy! I must have a party with friends for Alice too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! I had just cut myself a fringe and I'm still not feeling 100%sure I like it so thanks :D

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful idea and all those cakes...lol :) You look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful idea and all those cakes...lol :) You look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post!! You look very beautiful..I know a site where all types of finest collection of hats are available.That offers large variety of hats – steampunk, victorian and many more in affordable price.Just have a look http://emilyway.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like so much fun! And you all look so cute.

    ReplyDelete